A history of VFW Post 1115

Grover King VFW Post 1115 has been an active force in the Hillsville and Carroll County community for more than 80 years.

It began on May 15, 1935, when 27 veterans from World War One, one from the Spanish-American War and one other area veteran chartered Virginia’s 37th Post of The Veterans of Foreign Wars of The United States.

They decided the Post should bear the name of Carroll County’s first serviceman killed during the First World War, Grover C. King, who died on the battlefield in France on July 15, 1918, three days short of his 28th birthday.

At first the Post held its meetings in the courthouse. Construction began in 1954 on the organization’s first building, and the first meeting in the new facility was held January 17, 1955. It was dedicated in July 1956, and by 1961 the costs of the building were paid in full and the VFW held a note-burning ceremony.

In 1966, VFW Post 1115 purchased land adjacent to the Post Home, primarily to provide additional parking spaces. A disaster struck on January 15, 1968, when an explosion in the Post Home destroyed much of the facility. The VFW decided then to construct a new, larger building to accommodate all of its growing needs. The result of this planning is today one of the premier facilities in all of Hillsville and Carroll County – the VFW Post Home on West Stuart Drive, known as “The Carroll County Activity Center.”

Forty-seven years ago, this building and the expansive grounds around it became the site of what is today the largest gun show and flea market east of the Mississippi River. The event each Labor Day weekend has helped to put Hillsville on the national map.

The membership of our sponsoring VFW Post is now over 700 strong – more than 300 from Hillsville and Galax and the rest from nearly every state in the nation as well as several foreign countries – making VFW Post 1115 one of the largest single Veterans’ organizations in the nation.

It is also one of the busiest, conducting many activities and pumping thousands of dollars into community service every year.

Several times over the years, most recently during the year 2001-2002, Post 1115 was so successful that it achieved “All-American Post” status – a distinction that goes to only a handful of VFW Posts in the nation. Making this even more meaningful, this was the third straight year that Post 1115 earned “All-American” honors, and all three years the Post was under the leadership of the late Joe Lawson of Hillsville, the only Post Commander in the history of the VFW Department of Virginia to be named an “All-American Post Commander” three years in a row.

Sandra Terry is the current Post Commander and she welcomes everyone to the Gun Show & Flea Market.

No organization such as this can be so successful without the backing of a Ladies Auxiliary. The 1115 Auxiliary was established on April 9, 1954, by 40 Charter Members who were wives, mothers, sisters and daughters of the men who served our fine Nation at times when it needed their service the most.

Members of Grover King VFW Post 1115 and the Ladies Auxiliary have taken a leading role in the community all through the years, serving in various capacities both in and outside the VFW. This year the membership includes businessmen, attorneys, educators, clergymen and even the town’s own former Mayor.