For nearly 100 years, The Carroll News has served the people of Carroll County as their primary source of news, as well as a guide to satisfy the community’s appetite for goods and services through advertising of local merchants. The Carroll News was established in 1920 by Byrum P. Goad, a Hillsville attorney and prosecutor, and his wife Belva M. Goad. Belva Goad became one of the first women in the area to take an active part in the total operation of a newspaper and much of her knowledge was acquired from Walter G. Howlett, county treasurer at the time, who had earlier worked for a newspaper.
The Goads sold the business to Allen Crabill, who then sold to Walter Edwards. Viola Edwards, sister-in-law to Walter, was Business Manager and operated the newspaper during the time Walter served in the Virginia legislature. In October 1957, Wayne Brockenbrough purchased The Carroll News from Edwards and formed Carroll Publishing Corporation and operated the newspaper until January 2004 when he sold it to Mid-South Management Company. The Carroll News is now owned by Champion Media.
A weekly newspaper, The Carroll News has grown steadily since 1920 and its pages are filled with news and features about people of Carroll County each week. Our motto is “Dedicated to serving the people of Carroll County.”
Our goal of giving readers a balanced and fair account of what goes on in this community and elsewhere in the world will never change, while the means through which we deliver your community news and information has expanded rapidly.