With snow still falling across many regions of the state and temperatures on the decline, Virginia State Police troopers continue to respond to traffic crashes statewide. Since 12:01 a.m., Wednesday (Jan. 17), Virginia State Police have responded to 268 traffic crashes statewide and 126 disabled vehicles. The majority of the crashes involve only damage to vehicles.
For road conditions, Virginians are reminded to use the VDOT 511 system. Please do not call 911 or #77 to ask about road conditions, as these are emergency numbers and need to remain open to emergency calls.
Those who do have to travel are advised to…
1. Make sure all windows and lights are clear of snow before heading out.
2. Always buckle up – driver and all passengers.
3. Drive distraction free – put down the phone and coffee and keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
4. Slow speed for conditions.
5. Use headlights to increase your visibility and to help other drivers see you better.
6. Share the road responsibly with VDOT vehicles and emergency vehicles.