New Twin County Airport terminal to be dedicated March 27

By Larry Chambers Carroll County public information specialist

March 23, 2014

HILLSVILLE — The new $1.4 million terminal building at Twin County Airport will be dedicated and open to the public on Thursday, March 27 at 2 p.m.

Facilities at the new terminal include offices, a passenger lounge complete with a big-screen television, conference room where public meetings can be held, small kitchen and a radio system where the airport can communicate with incoming aircraft.

The airport was opened in the early 1960s and has provided a place for corporate aircraft to land, along with local pilots.

The Virginia Department of Aviation provided 73 percent of the funds for the new 4,000-square-foot terminal, with the remaining 27 percent, or $230,542.45, being provided equally by the City of Galax and the counties of Carroll and Grayson.

Scott Stansfield, who was in the Air Force for 27 years serving as a mechanic and flight engineer, is airport manager, taking over last October when construction began on the terminal.

Stansfield said the old terminal building that was used for an office for many years had been removed and a mobile home, also used for office space, would be removed before the dedication.

The airport has a 4,204 x 75-foot runway that can accommodate small corporate jets, along with T-hangars, tie-downs and self-serve aviation fuel is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Members of the Twin County Airport Commission, who operate the airport, include Tom Jones, chairman, and Willie Greene, representing Galax; Dr. Tom Littrell and Greg Yonce, Carroll County; and Larry Bartlett, vice chairman, and Lewis Walker, representing Grayson County.

Tours will be provided for visitors to inspect the new terminal.

South End Construction, Inc., of Roanoke, was the construction contractor.

The airport is located near mile marker 19 on Interstate 77, six miles west of Hillsville and 11 miles northeast of Galax.