Judge denies bond to Cooper

January 16, 2014

The Carroll County woman charged with felony child endangerment is being held in New River Valley Regional Jail without bond after a court hearing Wednesday.

Amy Dutkiewicz Cooper, 40, of Gladesboro, was charged with felony child endangerment Jan. 8 after an investigation by the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office. According to Carroll County Commonwealth’s Attorney Nathan H. Lyons, a judge denied Cooper bond Jan. 15 in a bond hearing in Carroll County Juvenile & Domestic Court. She has appealed the decision. Her appeal is set to be heard January 22.

On Jan. 2, deputies responded to a home on Crooked Oak Road after receiving a call that a child may have been assaulted, Sheriff J.B. Gardner said.

Corporal Barry Lineberry and Investigator Brandon Edwards responded with rescue units to the home and found a 4-year old child complaining of pain and bruising to her face, around her eyes. The child was transported to Twin County Regional Hospital and then transferred to Brenner Children’s Hospital in Winston-Salem, N.C. where she was listed in stable condition.

As a result of the investigation, Cooper was charged and arrested for Felony Child Endangerment.

Cooper was also charged with felony aggravated malicious wounding in 2008 in the wounding of Warren Meredith in Gladesboro. The charge was amended to accessory after the fact, a misdemeanor, in May of 2009. She pled guilty to the charge and was sentenced to a 30-day jail sentence, which was suspended.

Meredith was struck by a 1992 Ford Explorer driven by Cooper the night of May 18, 2008 on Spring Branch Road in Gladesboro. No charges were placed at the time of the incident as it was originally investigated as a vehicular accident. However, the Virginia State Police continued to investigate to see if the incident was more than an accident. State Police later charged Cooper and James Charles Hawks after speaking with Meredith, who was taken to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, N.C., where he stayed in intensive care for more than five weeks with broken bones in his back, collapsed lungs, and issues with his right leg and foot.

Hawks was charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated malicious wounding in the case. He pled guilty to an amended charge of conspiracy to commit unlawful wounding and was sentenced to five years in prison with all but one day suspended. He was also ordered to serve 10 years of probation and to pay Meredith $20,000 in restitution over 10 years.

During the case, Meredith testified he knew someone was in front of his house the night he was struck because he was in his basement and his CB radio pegged out, meaning someone had to be nearby with another CB.

He said he didn’t know who was in front of his house, but he testified he walked out in front of his house and was going to driver’s side of the vehicle to see who was there and what they wanted. As he started walking around the front of vehicle, Meredith testified they hit him and that is the last thing he remembers.

Meredith also testified that on the night before he was struck by a vehicle, he had an argument on the CB with a person he knew as having the handle Bandit. Meredith said Hawks, using the handle Bandit, threatened him, then showed up in front of his house the next night.