November 17, 2013
Wheatland Hills Hillsville is pleased to announce the completion of an expansion and renovation of its memory care community.
Wheatland Hills at Hillsville is conveniently located in a residential area close to downtown Hillsville and less than 10 miles from the Twin County Regional Hospital. Commonwealth Assisted Living has invested more than $400,000 into the community, adding over 2,800 square feet and expanding its award-winning Sweet Memories program to care for those with Alzheimer’s and other forms of memory loss issues. In addition the company has installed all new emergency call and telephone systems and implemented complimentary Wi Fi throughout the community. The expansion will also add several new employment opportunities to the Hillsville community.
An open house was held November 7th to celebrate the new expansion. Tours of the new expansion, new dining area, and courtyard were given, and Jeff Gruber, Corporate Memory Care Director, presented an overview of the award-winning Sweet Memories and Expressions program.
“We are excited about the additional space the new memory care wing offers to our residents, room to enjoy the personalized programs to meet their health care needs,” said Katie Trump, marketing director for Hillsville. “We now have room to accommodate 32 residents in our Sweet Memories neighborhood allowing us to provide a safe and secure environment to serve more seniors and their families.”
The new dining area features 10 tables. Like every entrance/exit in the building, the dining room has a secure, padlocked door that is coded for security of the residents. A new seating area features a fireplace, television and games for residents. It leads into a new hall that circles outside the building for the expanded outdoor area with a gazebo.
Commonwealth Assisted Living’s specialized Memory Care program, “Sweet Memories,” oﬀers extra attention, safety and security to those experiencing memory loss, Alzheimer’s Disease or other dementia. Sweet Memories is a resident-centered program with three primary components that help ensure the best memory care experience for our resident and their family.
• Admission: From physical to emotional needs, Wheatland Hills help with every step of the transition from home or hospital to our community.
• Evaluation through life history: A comprehensive interview is completed with family members so staff gets to know residents as individuals. Staff considers their medical, mental, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs, as well as their habits and preferences.
• Resident centered care plan: Once a resident’s evaluation is complete, an experienced leadership team creates a customized care plan to meet their speciﬁc needs. Care plans are evaluated quarterly.
The signature Sweet Memories program includes:
• One Sweet Memory: Winner of the Best Practice Award from the Virginia Assisted Living Association (VALA), for going above and beyond the standards of care, community staﬀ regularly capture highlights of each resident’s days in photographs which are shared with family members.
• Expressions: When verbal skills begin to fail, art can become a means of self expression for residents. Conversational prompting stimulates memories which residents can interpret using a variety of mediums, including painting.
Warm, comfortable and home-like environments are designed to provide the highest quality of care available, ensuring security and peace-of-mind as your loved one progresses through the stages of dementia.